This week I had the opportunity to introduce some teachers to using Google Maps for more than just looking up directions. I was asked to address Common Core standards as a part of the workshop. These are some of the Common Core standards that I think you can address through the use of Google Maps.
- Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and
formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.
- Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events
using effective technique, well-chosen details and well-structured event
- Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
- Check out Google Maps for Educators to find directions on how to create placemarks in Google Maps.
- Recognize area as an attribute of plane figures and understand concepts of area measurement.
- See Tom Barrett’s Maths Maps for ideas on using Google Maps in elementary/ primary grades mathematics lessons.
View 27 Measures Activities in Madrid in a larger map